AWS Java & DB Developer
You will play a central role in alva’s technology transformation toward machine learning, using automation and cognitive tools to augment human analysts, and deliver massive scalability using AWS services, Java, PostgreSQL and statistical/ML tools. You will take ownership, design, code, test, and evolve business critical components for a big data and machine learning platform. You will be expected to define standards and best practices for our AWS hosted applications. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Designing, developing, and testing components such as feed handlers to ingest data, natural language processing logic, core engine definition, data modeling, data feature and query development, and web platform functionality.
- Perform agile processes in partnership with the team; apply and contribute to evolving processes and tooling. Effectively implement continuous integration, automated testing, and continuous deployment.
- Ensure production code has effective operations tooling, resilience, and transparency.
- Using an empirical approach to demonstrate value-add: Incorporate new techniques to develop data into information in the platform, using statistical, machine learning, natural language processing and creativity.
Your Skills & Experience
You will have a blend of technical knowledge, industry specialism and relationship building acumen and will act as a conduit and a consultant to translate and deliver the intricate and everchanging needs of our clients into our weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual insight reports.
You will have excellent Java experience, be familiar working with AWS and adept at handling data. A good working knowledge of Postgres is an advantage, but any previous RDBMS development experience should give you the foundation to build upon.
We strongly believe in developing talent and are willing to invest time to develop technical individuals to maintain the latest skill sets required to work on such a fast-moving platform, however to thrive within this role, you should have the experience, ambition and grit to succeed and should demonstrate the following:
- A passionate drive for quality & results. Rigorous code quality standards, use of design-patterns. Ability to link big picture strategy to detailed, clean & simple but rigorous implementation.
- Energetic, positive, and ready to make a difference.
- A number of years’ experience with Java.
- A number of years’ experience data modelling and SQL experience is required, preferably with PostgresQL.
- A candidate should be familiar with database performance tuning and troubleshooting. While database operations are not a core part of this role, the candidate should have a strong command of core development and operations tasks.
- Academic qualifications from a competitive university or, alternatively, exceptional, and clearly documented business and technical impact at a respected technology-centred company.
- Highly articulate, with strong written & spoken English and presentation skills
- Exemplifies alva’s core values and behaviours
At alva our mission is to support our clients make better decisions with Connected Intelligence.
alva combines AI with sector analysts to provide an integrated solution covering business, stakeholder and media intelligence to support decision-making related to the company’s strategy, customers and stakeholders.
We work with 100+ Global 2000 companies.
Our London based Technology team are a small team of experts who support alva’s ambitious delivery plans using technology to automate solutions and optimize outcomes, supporting continuous integration and deployment.
- Authentic – “we DO what we SAY”
- Learner – “we find ways to do it BETTER”
- Collaborative – “we are ONE for ALL and ALL for ONE”
- Owner – “we make it HAPPEN”
- Achiever – “we are focused on achieving the RIGHT OUTCOME”
- Flexible working environment
- 25 days annual leave
- Charity days: paid time off to support local charities and communities
- Employer pension contribution
- Monthly £100 ‘Extra Mile Award’
- Access to free or discounted products and services via Perkbox
- Fun and social work environment: Friday afternoon drinks and social events
- Weekly fresh fruit delivery
- Access to online training courses provided via Udemy
- Referral bonus for recommending candidates that are successfully hired
- Cycle to work scheme
To apply for the position or to seek further information, please email your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.