Database & Data Science Developer
We are the Stakeholder Intelligence company. Our mission is to provide the best stakeholder intelligence to support the creation of social and economic value by corporations, advisers and the investment community.
At alva we combine our award-winning AI technology with sector analysts to provide an integrated solution covering media, reputation, ESG, risk and board intelligence to support decision-making related to stakeholder management.
We work with 100+ Global 2000 companies.
Our Technology team are a small team of experts who support alva’s ambitious delivery plans using technology to automate solutions and optimize outcomes, supporting continuous integration and deployment.
You will play a central role in alva’s technology transformation toward machine learning, using automation and cognitive tools to augment human analysts, and deliver massive scalability using AWS services, PostgreSQL and statistical/ML tools. You will take ownership, design, code, test, and evolve business critical data analysis and machine learning. You will be expected to define standards and best practices for our data analysis. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams
- Analytical mind and business acumen
- Strong math skills (e.g. statistics, algebra)
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Designing, developing, and testing data analysis components such as natural language processing logic, data modeling, data feature and query development, predictive modelling, sentiment modelling and developing the way data can be used to drive insight.
- Perform agile development in partnership with the team; apply and contribute to evolving processes and tooling. Effectively implement continuous integration, automated testing, and continuous deployment.
- Forming hypotheses into how data could be analysed, then undertake data & evidence driven investigation and evaluation of them.
- Building models to address business problems
- Presenting information using data visualization techniques
- Drive the output of data science towards achievable enhancements to our data processing systems
- Ensure production data processing code has effective operations tooling, resilience, and transparency.
- Using an empirical approach to demonstrate value-add: Incorporate new techniques to develop data into information in the platform, using statistical, machine learning, natural language processing and creativity.
- As needed, contribute to QA such as defining and performing test cases.
- Immerse yourself in our products and market to anticipate creative ways our data and systems can be adapted to add business value to our offerings. Proactively act to mitigate the company’s risk and ability to serve clients.
- Maintain strong AWS understanding including earning and maintaining certification.
- Stay at the forefront of data analysis software to ensure ongoing delivery of technology goals, competitive edge and strong value for clients. All engineers are encouraged to find new ways to use technology to serve our clients, improve operations, and reduce costs and risks.
Your Skills & Experience
You will have a blend of technical knowledge, industry specialism and relationship building acumen and will act as a conduit and a consultant to translate and deliver the intricate and everchanging needs of our clients into our weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual insight reports.
You will have excellent Java experience, be familiar working with AWS and adept at handling data. A good working knowledge of Postgres is an advantage, but any previous RDBMS development experience should give you the foundation to build upon.
We strongly believe in developing talent and are willing to invest time to develop technical individuals to maintain the latest skill sets required to work on such a fast-moving platform, however to thrive within this role, you should have the experience, ambition and grit to succeed and should demonstrate the following:
- A passionate drive for quality & results. Rigorous code quality standards, use of design-patterns. Ability to link big picture strategy to detailed, clean & simple but rigorous implementation.
- Energetic, positive, and ready to make a difference.
- 3+ years’ experience with Java.
- 3+ years’ experience data modelling and SQL experience is required, preferably with PostgresQL.
- Experience with data analysis tools such as python, R and building ML models
- Experience using business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau)
- A candidate should be familiar with database performance tuning and troubleshooting. While database operations are not a core part of this role, the candidate should have a strong command of core development and operations tasks.
- AWS certification would be advantageous.
- Academic qualifications from a competitive university or, alternatively, exceptional, and clearly documented business and technical impact at a respected technology-centred company.
- Highly articulate, with strong written & spoken English and presentation skills
- Prior experience within a consultancy or in-house communications team
- Demonstrable knowledge of the role of communications in business
- An understanding of the business value of reputation
- Exemplifies alva’s core values and behaviours
- Authentic – We do what we say
- Learner – We find ways to do it better
- Collaborative – We trust, respect and care for each other
- Owner – We make it happen
- Achiever – We are relentless
- Flexible working environment
- 25 days annual leave
- Charity days: paid time off to support local charities and communities
- Employer pension contribution
- Monthly £100 ‘Extra Mile Award’
- Access to free or discounted products and services via Perkbox
- Fun and social work environment: Friday afternoon drinks and social events
- Weekly fresh fruit delivery
- Access to online training courses provided via Udemy
- Referral bonus for recommending candidates that are successfully hired
- Cycle to work scheme