We are looking for a talented developer to join our London team to support our ambitious delivery plans using technology to automate solutions and optimize outcomes, supporting continuous integration and deployment in a fast-paced environment. You will be expected to define standards and best practices for our AWS hosted applications.
Applicants should have solid experience in working with AWS, and knowledge of Java and AWS Lambda functions. A good working knowledge of Postgres and/or Redshift is an advantage but any previous RDBMS development experience should give you the foundation to build upon.
We strongly believe in developing talent and are willing to invest time to develop technical individuals to maintain the latest skill sets required to work on such a fast-moving platform.
- Design, develop, and test components such as feed handlers to ingest data, natural language processing logic, data modeling, data feature and query development, and web platform functionality.
- Perform agile processes in partnership with the team; apply and contribute to evolving processes and tooling. Effectively implement continuous integration, automated testing, and continuous deployment.
- Ensure production code has effective operations tooling, resilience, and transparency.
- As needed, contribute to QA such as defining and performing test cases.
- Potentially contribute to maintaining the current platform built on C++, Oracle, MongoDB, and Tomcat. While the legacy system is not the focus for this role, understanding the legacy system will help to understand the goals for the new AWS platform.
- Monitor and anticipate risks to platform security, data quality, cybersecurity and other areas. Proactively act to mitigate the company’s risk and ability to serve clients.
- Maintain strong AWS understanding including earning and maintaining certification.
- Stay at the forefront of software to ensure ongoing delivery of technology goals, competitive edge and strong value for clients. All engineers are encouraged to find new ways to use technology to serve our clients, improve operations, and reduce costs and risks.
Skills and Qualifications
- Drive for results. Rigorous code quality standards. Ability to link big picture strategy to detailed, rigorous implementation. Energetic, positive, and ready to make a difference.
- Data modeling and SQL experience is required, preferably with Postgres/Redshift. A candidate should be familiar with database performance tuning and troubleshooting. While database operations are not a core part of this role, the candidate should have a strong command of core development and operations tasks.
- A candidate should bring experience with several of: Kinesis, S3, Lambda functions, Aurora, RedShift, DynamoDB, CodeBuild, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline.
- AWS certification would be advantageous.
- High academic qualifications from a competitive university or, alternatively, exceptional and clearly documented business and technical impact at a respected technology-centered company.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join alva, a London and New York-based fast-growth intelligence company.
The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment and have the experience, ambition and grit to succeed.
The position will be based in our London office, although the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to work with our US-based clients in our New York office.
At alva our mission is to support our clients make better decisions with Connected Intelligence.
alva combines AI with sector analysts to provide an integrated solution covering business, stakeholder and media intelligence to support decision-making related to the company’s strategy, customers and stakeholders.
We work with 100+ Global 2000 companies.
- Authentic – we do what we say
- Learner – we find ways to do it better
- Collaborative – we are one for all and all for one
- Owner – we make it happen
- Achiever – we are focused on achieving the right outcome
Location: Southwark, London
To apply for the position or to seek further information, please email your CV and Cover letter to email@example.com.