We are looking for a talented Database Developer to join our London team to support our ambitious delivery plans. A database developer plays a central role in alva’s technology transformation, using automation and cognitive tools to augment human analysts, and deliver massive scalability using AWS services.
As a senior engineer, the database developer will take ownership, design, code, test, and evolve business critical components for a Postgres/Redshift database/data warehouse, interacting with data processing and machine learning components. This role will build on broad and strong application development and data management experience.
What you will be doing
Applicants should have solid experience in working with Postgres and/or Redshift, data modelling and database operations such as performance optimisation. Development experience with other RDBMS will be considered where you can demonstrate the transferability to Redshift. Programming knowledge & experience (eg Java) would be advantageous.
We strongly believe in developing talent and are willing to invest time to develop technical individuals to maintain the latest skill sets required to work on such a fast moving platform. We are building a team with diverse and complementary skillsets so expect to work with productive individuals who will challenge but collaborate with to drive effective project delivery.
- Design, develop, and test components such as feed handling to ingest data, natural language processing logic, core engine definition data modeling, data feature and query development, data warehousing and to support web platform functionality.
- Perform agile processes in partnership with the team; apply and contribute to evolving processes and tooling. Effectively implement continuous integration, automated testing, and continuous deployment.
- Ensure production code has effective operations tooling, resilience, and transparency.
- As needed, contribute to QA such as defining and performing test cases.
- Monitor and anticipate risks to platform security, data quality, cybersecurity and other areas. Proactively act to mitigate the company’s risk and ability to serve clients.
- Stay at the forefront of software to ensure ongoing delivery of technology goals, competitive edge and strong value for clients. All engineers are encouraged to find new ways to use technology to serve our clients, improve operations, and reduce costs and risks.
Skills and Qualifications
- Drive for results. Rigorous code quality standards. Ability to link big picture strategy to detailed, rigorous implementation. Energetic, positive, and ready to make a difference.
- At last five years Data modeling and SQL database development experience with Redshift / Postgres (or potentially a transferable RBMS).
- A candidate should be familiar with database performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- High academic qualifications from a competitive university or, alternatively, exceptional and clearly documented business and technical impact at a respected technology-centered company.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join alva, a London and New York-based fast-growth intelligence company.
The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment and have the experience, ambition and grit to succeed.
The position will be based in our London office, although the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to work with our US-based clients in our New York office.
At alva our mission is to support our clients make better decisions with Connected Intelligence.
alva combines AI with sector analysts to provide an integrated solution covering business, stakeholder and media intelligence to support decision-making related to the company’s strategy, customers and stakeholders.
We work with 100+ Global 2000 companies.
- Authentic – we do what we say
- Learner – we find ways to do it better
- Collaborative – we are one for all and all for one
- Owner – we make it happen
- Achiever – we are focused on achieving the right outcome
Location: Southwark, London
To apply for the position or to seek further information, please email your CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.